The associate in this position is responsible for monitoring shipments subject to import and export controls to ensure compliance with U.S., E.U., and local regulations as well as for resolving customs-related issues in a timely manner. The associate will perform his or her duties in a manner that meets the company’s operating standards, compliance programs, quality requirements and customer shipping schedules in the most efficient and cost-effective manner. The associate will support tactical operations for the EU Trade Compliance program centralized in Amersfoort (Netherlands) for the company in the EMEA regions.
- Act as on-site tactical point of contact for Trade Compliance matters.
- Coordinate import and export controls for Company’s trade operations to ensure compliance with all US, EU and local regulations in the conduct of international business activities;
- Proactively build and maintain strong trade compliance procedures and processes in compliance with Corporate Policies;
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders to facilitate business needs related to cross-border shipping;
- Verify and assign the correct Harmonized Tariff Code to products;
- Review and determine the country of origin of products;
- Manage supply chain trade security issues as per risk assessments (e.g. AEO);
- Review and approve sales transactions to embargo and sanctioned countries;
- In conjunction with other departments, work to determine the required export licensing of products;
- Responsible for understanding of products compliance by country customs regulations;
- Support all activities relating to customs audits, investigations, disclosures, etc.
- Drive the continuous improvement of the Company’s trade compliance program, including automating processes and procedures;
- Perform import and export trade compliance audits, and coordinate the resolution of the open actions with relevant departments
- Assure Trade compliance record retention is compliant and consistent with company requirements;
- Support legal department in investigating and resolving trade compliance issues;
- Ensure shipping/receiving associates properly handle import/export transactions;
- Provide timely information to brokers and freight forwarders for accurate completion of documents to government agencies;
- Audit submissions by brokers and freight forwarders and resolve errors found in entry audits. Report substantial findings to reference contacts.
- Anticipates and mitigates potential trade compliance problems within the organization and mitigates risk;
- Provide internal training as directed/needed
- College degree and a minimum of 5 years of Dutch Trade Compliance experience;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Dutch, language skills in one or more other major European language preferred (French, German, etc.);
- 1-2 years of project management experience, managing multiple projects with varying deadlines;
- 3-5 years of experience managing Customs brokers for accuracy on shipments and performance;
- Deep knowledge of EU customs legislation as well as U.S. and E.U. embargo and sanctioned regulations;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications particularly Excel and Oracle;
- Familiarity and/or experience with LEAN, Six Sigma or similar programs preferred